Monday, November 7, 2011

Internet Information

Filter bubbles, this is the one thing that stands out to me from the past several months of my English class. Never have I ever felt so exposed or denied at the same time. The fact that all information on me from Facebook, or any other major website, is stolen and sold in order to provide advertisements to me, disturbed me. That is just a generalization of what I learned through this TED Talk. The speaker expounds on the matter much more thoroughly then me (Filter Bubbles). However something that especially bothers me from all the information out there of me, is that it can be used to track me and to find me. While the this video to the right, isn't entirely relevant to the topic at hand, although it does give good information on the anonymity of the internet, one part of the video that surprises me is the fact that, several 4Chan users were able to track down an animal abuser just through pictures and information he posted to Myspace. I might not be a murderer or an animal abuser, but that fact that it is that easy to do something like that scares be to death and makes me want to sleep with my doors locked. The Internet is a dangerous place where there really isn't a lot of anonymity on for you or anyone.

1 comment:

  1. Important topic-- and great choice of video! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete