Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Notes on Hamlet

When I first started reading Hamlet, I was excited to start reading such a famous classic. With so many references to the play in popular culture, I was happy to finally understand what many of the references meant. One such memory I have is in an episode of the show "The Animaniacs." In one scene, a quasi-Hamlet played by one of the zany characters sits brooding over a tomb, as he mourns the death of Yorick. I never fully understood that quote till after reading Hamlet. But I digress. Reading through Hamlet has also helped me to fully understand and enjoy the genius of Hamlet's writings. His plot and narratives are exciting and insightful, pulling the audience in similar to a modern day movie. Reading through, I've noticed the fall of Hamlet from when he first sees the ghost to his killing of Polonius. Although he has a set plan and goal, he is still held to his actions which and a little bit of rashness, which is seen in his killing of Polonius. This is something that Hamlet wouldn't have done earlier in the play. Moving from here in the play, the audience should see more digression in Hamlet till he is almost insane, then a return to sanity as he sees the errors of his ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment